Register to Attend in Person or Remotely Here
View Speaker Bios Here
Forum on Asian Citrus Psyllid (ACP) Control/Management
Monday, July 24, 2017
Keck Center of the National Academies of Sciences and Engineering
500 Fifth Street NW, Washington, DC 20001 - Room 105
Open Session Agenda
8:15 - Welcome, Introductions, and Overview of Forum Agenda
Jacque Fletcher, Committee, Forum Attendees
- Invited speakers will be given 30 or 45 minutes to address the questions below. Each speaker is requested to represent and present the overall state of ACP-related research on his/her topic, to include not only his/her own work but also that of others in the research community, so that the committee will gain an understanding of each of these critical areas of research. Speakers may use PowerPoint slides during their talks.
1. In general, what have been the major research accomplishments, over the past 10 years, by your own research group as well as other groups, in the area about which you are speaking?
2. What research results/outcomes generated by the research community have been useful to ACP or HLB control, and how?
3. What are the important current research efforts in these areas?
4. To what extent are research collaborations and shared resources contributing to the progress and success of these projects?
5. (If applicable) What is slowing down the translational aspects of this area of research?
6. What other information/research is needed in the future to come up with better strategies for controlling ACP, and therefore to control HLB?
8:30 - ACP Chemical Control, Biocontrol, and Integrated Pest Management
Lukasz Stelinski, UF Citrus Research and Education Center
Jawwad Qureshi, UF Indian River Research and Education Center (IRREC)
Beth Grafton-Cardwell, UC, Riverside
10:15 - Comments from other PIs of projects on ACP control (chemical, biological, IPM) and other forum participants
10:30 - BREAK
10:45 - RNAi and Other Genomic Approaches for ACP Control, and use of CTV Vectors to Deliver Transmission-Disruptive Molecules into ACP
William Dawson, UF
11:30 - Comments from other PIs of projects on RNAi and other genomic approaches for ACP control use of CTV vectors to deliver transmission-disruptive molecules into ACP and other forum participants
12:00 - LUNCH
1:00 - Vector-Pathogen Interactions and Interrupting CLas Transmission by ACP
Kirsten Pelz-Stelinski, UF CREC
1:45 - Ecology and Behavior of ACP and Vector-Host Interactions
Lukasz Stelinski, UF CREC
2:30 - Comments from other PIs working on vector ecology, interactions of vectors with the pathogen and the host, and transmission of CLas and other forum participants
- Discussion of experiences and insights from work on ACP or other insects that are vectors of plant pathogens and possible ways to overcome the current challenges in ACP research and approaches or techniques that are worth exploring.
All Part I participants
Invited experts in ACP/psyllids/other vectors, insect-vectored plant pathogens, insect genomics, RNAi
2:45 - Discussion Objectives and Guidelines
Jacqueline Fletcher, Committee Chair
2:50 - Discussion of Challenges/Ways to Overcome Challenges and Other Approaches to Explore
3:30 - BREAK
3:45 - Continuation of Discussion
5:00 - End of Forum