The Ocean Studies Board explores the science, policies, and infrastructure needed to understand, manage, and conserve coastal and marine environments and resources. In addition to exercising leadership within the ocean community, the Board undertakes studies at the request of federal agencies, Congress, or other sponsors, or upon its own initiative.
In recent years, the Board has conducted studies in the following areas:
- the status of marine and coastal environments
- the ocean's role in the global climate system
- technology and infrastructure needs for ocean research
- ocean-related aspects of national security
- fisheries science, management, and policy
- living and non-living marine resources
- ocean education
- reviews of specific agency programs
- the future of the discipline in the United States and abroad
Please refer to our 2009-2010 biennial report for more information.